Tavern since 1508
We are proud to be one of the best historic restaurants in Germany. In 2009 the Federal Hospitality Association together with the Home and Environment Union (BHU) has honoured the 40 best historic taverns in Germany. The Goldenes Kreuz persuaded the jury with the authentic architecture and genuine cuisine.
The history of the eldest building in Coburg dates back to the 13th century. The houses in the street Herrnhasse 1 and 3 were originally connected and used to serve as a carriage shelter, craftsmen storage and workshop and, lately, as an inn and tavern.
The First Host in 1508
The first host mentioned in a written documentation in 1508 was Jörg Mode. The name "Goldenes Kreuz" (Golden Cross) was given to the tavern by Johanna Christiane Bachmann in 1815.
The extensive renovation of the eldest building in Coburg took 3 years and was completed in 2005. For the current owner it was an issue of great importance to perform the architectural conservation of the building very carefully and professionally as well as not to use the public funds rather than investing private resources.
In addition to the historic dining room and a terrace overlooking the market square, two patios has been created. In cozy loggias, the patios provide guests between the old walls space for pleasant time-spending.
Come in our restaurant in Coburg and feel the taste of Coburg's history and Franconian cuisine!